Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Chilli Verde

We've all done it. You see something on Pinterest and think what a lovely idea it is, but then you go back later to find out you forgot to pin it! You frantically search your boards. Maybe you labeled it wrong..  Nope. Ok you saw it a few days ago, a week at the most, so look over you pin list and go back two weeks... Nope. Ah. Search all of Pinterest... BAHAHAHA! Did you really think that would work?!

Well, that happened to me today. Luckily I looked at the source website for the pin at the time and had bought a few of the veggies on the list of the recipe I wanted to try. I can tell you it was a Pork Chilli Verde, it was not a crock pot recipe, and it was from scratch. So I think, hey I got this. I can figure it out on my own. So I pull out my crock pot (because I have stuff to do) and I get to working.

I gather the following:
5-6 tomatillo
1 pablano pepper
1 jalapeno pepper
Cilantro
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2.5 pound pork shoulder
Salt and pepper

I put the pork shoulder in the crock pot on high. I roast the peppers and tomatillo under the broiler, then put them in the blender with the garlic and a handful cilantro to blend well and pour over the pork shoulder.

I then went to pick up the kids from school and have fun for the afternoon.

When we came home three hours later I used two forks to pull the pork and put it all back in the sauce to sit on warm for another hour.

We served the Chilli Verde on whole wheat tortillas with cheese and sour cream. And all in all I'd call it a success. I think I should have put more garlic and salt in the sauce, and if you like spicy foods add another jalapeno or habenero, but while 3 of us love spicy foods we have a 1 year old and another child that don't so we keep it flavorful, but not too spicy and this fit the bill.

No comments: